Become a Skilful Editor
Editing is a very important skill in the world of publishing. All published work must pass through the scrutiny of editors. A very good editor is likely to help writers to make changes which improve the way their work is presented on the page as well as make grammatical changes and note errors.
Editing accuracy improves with practice as well as with knowledge of what to look for. Editors work in close conjunction with publishers and also authors.
A professional editing course which you can study online
This course gives you the flexibility of online study but you will also receive written feedback on your assignments from professional tutors who have skills in editing, writing and publishing.
Self-paced study, start any time, study from anywhere
Choose from a wide range of electives to differentiate yourself from other editing graduates
Study with highly qualified and experienced writers and publishing professionals
Start your own editing business; work as a freelance writer or editor or build a career with a publisher.
Expand Your Mind
The world of publishing is more exciting today than it has ever been. Opportunities abound.
Yet many well established publishers and journalists have faced big challenges, seeing their usual sources of income shrinking before their eyes.
Newspapers and magazines have closed down in recent times, and book sales are not what they used to be.
At the same time though people are spending more time reading than ever before; and the media is presenting people with more things to read. As such, there will never be a lack of need for quality editors.
The opportunity to edit written or published work is huge but to succeed as an editor into the future you will need to be able to edit whatever type of written work is needed, for the people who need it.
To train in editing and writing today, you need to not only learn the skills of editing and writing but you need a very broad awareness of the possibilities - the many genres you might need to edit and the expanding range of places you might find work or business opportunities. More than that, you need to develop a connection with the real world of publishing and journalism, to start building a network of colleagues who will sustain your awareness and reveal opportunities well beyond when you complete your studies.
This course goes beyond the average study program and has a practical slant that is very much focused on developing opportunities for your future.
Note that each module in the Advanced Certificate in Editing is a short course in its own right, and may be studied separately.
GAIN PROFESSIONAL WRITING AND EDITING SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
This course would be close to two years of full time study at most colleges; however, under our system you may fast track it or take it slow. Some may complete it in one year, while others may take several years to finish the course.
To give yourself the best chance of success in this industry, a comprehensive course like this together with experience is what is needed.
- Start a business, start a magazine, proof reading business, or electronic publishing business
- Work as a freelance editor, blog writer, or publishing industry professional
- Get a job as an editor, publisher, journalist or professional writer
WHY CHOOSE US?
- Support: from people who are editors, publishers and journalists. Our school runs a publishing business; our principal is a magazine editor, and author of over 100 books.
- Many of our staff are also widely published authors.
- Communicate with and be guided by people who know thew publishing business.
- Our approach is outside the mainstream of education-we can give you an education that is different; gives you a different mix of skills, and helps you approach your career in a different way.
- When you are different, you stand out
- Resources: unique collection of people and intellectual property.
- Flexibility: more options for how, where, when and what you study
- Learning is our top priority: what you learn changes you for life. Everything else is secondary
- History: We established in 1979, are well established and have a reputation for excellence.
GET USED TO RAPID CHANGE
The biggest problem, but also the biggest opportunity, for editing, publishing and writing professionals in today’s world is change.
The world is changing rapidly - consequently places that you can sell or use writing are changing quickly too.
Changes in publishing opportunities often require a change in the type and style of writing necessary. Most writers will develop a style of writing that is unique to them i.e. the way that they express themselves in the written word. This writing style is known as the writer’s "voice". However a writer that can change and adapt their writing style according to demand, is more likely to get work in the short term and sustain a career in the long term. Changing your style is not easy – it is quite difficult in fact, because it reflects how you express yourself verbally too. We all have our own form of expression, but a writer may be asked to write a serious article on a certain subject one day and then the next day need to write a light-hearted piece on a totally different subject e.g. an article on a flood and how it affected the people living in the area, and then an advertisement for lipstick. Your "voice" can still come through on both these pieces but you will need to change the style. So, in other words, it is not just a matter of changing your writing "voice", you must be able to change your approach to writing so that it suits each article you write.
Due to the surge of writing published on the internet, and its availability instantly to readers all over the world, you may also need to adapt the "normal" terminology you would use day to day i.e. the words you use to describe things. For example; if you were asked to write an article for a publication in the USA you may need to adjust your wording or descriptions to suit American language styles rather than your own. So it is not so much a need to change your "voice" but to change the mechanics of the writing. Small details like the fact that in the USA they prefer the term 'cookbook' to 'cookery book' (a term used more in the UK); 'drugstore' to 'chemist'; 'car boot' to 'trunk' and so on are examples of this. You need to be aware of what audience you are writing for and adjust your approach accordingly.
Who can benefit from taking this course?
Editors looking to move into freelance markets.
People wanting to start their own publication or publishing house.
Early career writers and editors looking for a practical, hands-on program.
Freelance writers seeking to access new markets or improve their knowledge of relevant frameworks and writing concepts.
Editors wanting to offer specialised writing services to existing clients and help attract new clients. Specialised services include interviews, scientific writing, and educational writing.
Fiction writers seeking to break into a new market with their work, such as transitioning from fiction to biography, memoir, or creative non-fiction.
At the end of this course you will:
- Understand the different types of editing and how to edit according to each
- Understand how to properly assess manuscripts, whether for yourself or a client
- Know the difference between different types of writing for periodicals, books, and digital media
- Understand the differences between a publisher, an editor, and other publishing house staff
- Understand the general process of how publishing works
how to develop an appropriate layout and design if you choose to take an alternate publishing route
- Understand the legal, ethical, and moral considerations involved in publishing
VISIT THE SCHOOL'S ONLINE BOOK STORE
The following titles are written by our principal and tutors. Click on any title you are interested in to see what the book covers, it's cost and how to purchase it on line.
What Should You Study?
Let us help you make the Best Decision for You!
- It is better to communicate with someone before they enrol.
- If we understand your passions, capabilities and ambitions - we can help!
- Plan to achieve your goals.
Use our free career and course counselling service.
|ACS is an Organisational Member of the Institute of Training and Occupational Learning.|
|Member of Study Gold Coast Education Network. |
|ACS Global Partner - Affiliated with colleges in seven countries around the world.|