Develop a valuable journalism skills
This course takes you through the processes of selection and publishing for a specific publication, submitting work for publication, and meeting the requirements of an editor and publisher. Under the guidance of a mentor (a photography/publishing tutor), you will learn to shoot according to specific criteria, deal with a publisher, and communicate effectively with others involved in the publishing process.
You will come away with at least one published work (maybe more), which will set you on the path to a career as a photojournalist. No matter what you want to photograph, you will find this a great learning experience.
- A photography course (eg. Introduction to Photography, Photographic Practice, Digital Photography) or equivalent
- Medium level computer skills, or higher
There are 11 lessons in this course:
Scope and Nature of Photojournalism -a short history
Ethics and Photojournalism
What Should I Photograph?
How Should I Photograph It?
Photo Stories / Editing Images
Working to Specification / Problem Based Learning
Publishing Using Online Management Systems
Taking Photos and Submitting Images
Writing Articles and Captions to Accompany Your Image
Revising Submitted Work
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
This course gives you hands-on experience in shooting for a publication.
You will work with a tutor (member of our academic staff) who will oversee your role as a photographer for an online publication, for one edition of that publication.
WHY CHOOSE US?
• Reputation: well-known and respected in publishing and writing
The school runs a successful publishing business, the principal has been
editor of national magazines; many of the staff are published authors)
• Industry focus: courses designed to suit industry needs and expectations
• Different focus: develop problem solving skills that make you stand out from others
• Hands on: develop practical as well as theoretical skills
• Lots of help: dedicated and knowledgeable tutors.
• Efficient: prompt responses to your questions
• Reliable: established in 1979, independent school with a solid history
• Up to date: courses under constant review
• Resources: huge wealth of constantly developing intellectual property
• Value: courses compare very favourably on a cost per study hour basis
• Student amenities: online student room, bookshop, ebooks, social networking, acs garden online resources.
Who can benefit from taking this course?
Amateur photographers wanting to improve their technique and step up to the next level.
Early career photographers and photojournalists developing their portfolio.
Early career photographers and photojournalists needing hands-on, practical experience.
Photographers needing a better understanding of the legal and ethical issues within the industry.
Editors and writers wanting to improve their knowledge of the industry to better serve existing clients, or bring in new clientele.
At the end of this course you will:
- Understand industry terminology and standards
- Understand how to use specific techniques to achieve the end result you want
- Understand how to develop a concept for your work
- Know how to write a compelling caption or accompaniment for your images
ENROL or Use our FREE Course Advice Service to Connect with a Tutor