HOME STUDY - WEBSITE DEVELOPER - PROGRAMMING
GAIN SKILLS TO DEVELOP DYNAMIC DATABASE DRIVEN WEBSITES + GRAPHIC DESIGN + e-COMMERCE!
This unique course will teach you website development from all angles: programming, database, graphics and marketing. Designed to help you develop critical and in demand skills that make a difference to commercial success in the here & now of today's world.
- Develop graphic skills in Photoshop & Flash
- Learn E-commerce and marketing
IT staff are often some of the most called upon staff in any office requiring broad knowledge and skills. This means that employers are looking for versatile and adaptable employees with a wide range of skills. Don't miss out on this chance to improve your employment opportunities.
Note that each module in the Advanced Certificate in Web Site Development is a short course in its own right, and may be studied separately.
Writing a Web Site (HTML)
- Introduction to the Internet and HTML
- The most important HTML Tags
- Simplification through HTML Construction Software
- Creating Links
- Loading a Site onto the Internet
- Adding Graphics
- Designing a Web Site that Works
- Advanced Features
- Introduction - what is e-commerce (more than the internet)
- Success and failure - what makes the difference
- Promotional strategies - are different on the internet
- Optimizing web site potential
- Increasing web site exposure
- Automating supply of goods, services and cash flow
- Managing constant change
- Dealing with e-commerce problems
Comprehensive module on Flash. This course will take you from the very basics of flash right up to developing interactive multimedia web solutions.
There are twelve lessons in total, as outlined below:
- Introduction to Flash
- Using the Flash editor
- Drawing & Colour
- Working with objects and symbols
- Working with text
- Working with graphics
- Using audio in your movies
- Using video in your movies
ASP.net is a program used to develop web sites. It has very real advantages over HTML (which is more widely used) and other web site programs (eg. It will download sites much faster, and search engines are likely to rank ASP.net programs higher than others). There are 11 lessons as follows:
- VB.NET Essentials
- Web Forms
- Web Server Controls
- Form Validation
- Classes and Namespaces
- Creating ASP.NET Applications
- Error Handling
- Email from your Applications
- Project: Creating an Online Store
Visual Basic Programming.Net
- Understanding conditional statements
- I/O handling
- Controls and Objects – An Introduction
- Structured Programming using Modules
- Properties, methods, events & classes
- Using controls
- Developing a complete VB.NET application
Photoshop - Beginner To Medium Level VIT202
There are 9 lessons in this course:
- Learning the menus
- Working with digital image files
- Understanding the Tool Palette
- Using Layers, Actions and History
- Digital Painting, shapes and colours
- Selecting, Resizing, Transforming and Masking
- Adjustments and modifications
- Adding Filters and Styles
- Preparing files for print and web
SQL For The Web BIT201
There are 12 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Databases
- Fundamentals of SQL
- Building a database with SQL
- Storing & Retrieving Data
- Advanced SQL database access methods
- Database Security
- Using SQL in applications
- Stored procedures
- Error Handling
- Dynamic SQL
- Advice & Tips
Tips for Getting Work
- Success in Web Development doesn't come from getting a qualification!
- Many of the most successful web developers do not hold university degrees
- Many I.T. degree graduates have tried and failed to develop a successful career in web development
- Success comes from what you learn, not what you qualify in
- Successful web developers need to be prepared to start at the bottom, take work wherever they can find it (even if pay is poor) and build a career from the ground up
- Few developers ever earn big money working for someone else. If you want a big income; you probably need to be self employed
- If you are going to be self employed; you need to learn business skills, develop a capacity to find clients and sell your services, and above all, have the right attitude and persistence to develop a business
- Make sure you learn the type of programming that is in demand; and that you are prepared to keep learning and staying up to date as your career rolls on.
WHAT IS THE OPTIMUM PAGE WEIGHT?
Consider how fast or slow the service used by your audience will be.
In the past many people accessed the internet by a slow dial up speed, where each 1kb could take as long as one second to download. So the 55kb page above would take on average 55 seconds to download.
As time advances, download speeds increase; but the sizes of files being downloaded also increase; so large files may still take a minute (sometimes longer) for many people to download.
If you know that everyone accessing your page has a fast broadband connection, you are free to create pages with larger page weights. Nowadays, many more people have faster high speed access, so page weights are becoming less of an issue, but still worth considering when designing your site, as fast loading pages are always preferable to slower ones.
Making highly optimised websites is largely dependent on what extra technologies you wish to include when designing and coding your site, for example, will you be using an programming language like Visual Basic or ASP.NET, will you be linking to a database application, etc. However, here are some tips to make pages load faster which might be relevant to you:
- Effective Table Designs: Design using nested tables instead of using cell merges and splits. Use separate tables where ever possible. Not designing for 100% height is better than using one outer table. If your page is contained within one main table, it will not be displayed until the entire table is fully loaded. If many outer tables are used (i.e. different tables for the header, content, footer, etc.) the page displays the content of each table as soon as its elements are loaded.
- Maximise Content Area: This not only reduces load time, it enhances the readability of your site.
- Minimise Use of Graphics and Flash Scripts: These are the major contributors to the size of your web page, so try to avoid using them. Try using background colours and fills instead of images.
- Optimise All Heavy Files: As much as possible optimise heavy graphics, Flash files and scripts. In editors like Fireworks and Flash there are various options in the preview panel to reduce the size. See how popular web sites like google and yahoo have pages that are very small in size and thus load in seconds.
- Stick to Simple Designs: Most fast loading sites have very simple designs. Complicated designs will slow down your pages.
- Spread Out Your Content: If you find yourself having very long pages of content, break them into separate pages and thus reduce the sizes of the individual pages. This is also an important navigational issue, as smaller logically arranged pages are easier to use than large complex pages.
- Use Text Links instead of Graphic Buttons: Basically, try to make use of HTML as much as possible.
- Use Server Side Include (SSI) Files – where ever possible. SSI files, once called from the web server, reside in a server cache so on subsequent requests they load faster.
ENROL (go to top) or
Use our FREE Counselling Service to Connect with a Tutor
|ACS Distance Education holds an Educational Membership with the ATA.|
|ACS is an Organisational Member of the Institute of Training and Occupational Learning.|
|Member of Study Gold Coast Education Network. |
|ACS is a long-term member of IARC. A non-profit quality management organisation servicing schools, colleges and institutions in the tertiary education sector.|