Learn to write effective, clear, concise and
compelling copy for use in marketing.
What is Copywriting?
Copywriting is “writing text, or copy as it is often called, for advertising or other marketing purposes.” Its goal is to persuade people to do something, which is often to encourage them to spend money. A copywriter is the person who writes the text.
There are 10 lessons in this course:
Scope and Nature of Copywriting
Creating Engaging Copy
Clarity, structure and headings
Writing for Print advertising
Writing for Direct Mail and Email
Writing Media Releases
Writing for Broadcast media
Writing for the Internet
Reviewing, Editing and Improving your Work
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Being a Good Writer Does not Make you a Good Copywriter
Copywriting is distinct from other forms of writing in that the end goal is focussed on sales. It draws on the elements of others forms – narrative, creative technique, and research – and brings them together to create materials that elicit a response in the reader. This response is specifically designed by the writer and the rest of their team (i.e. other advertising professionals).
The type of response will vary according to the purpose of the copy. There are varying purposes for copy, including:
- Incitement to purchase
- Introducing a brand or product
- Improving brand awareness/product awareness
- Sharing information (e.g. annual reports, updates, newsletters, customer retention work)
- Damage control/controlling a narrative (e.g. when a scandal touches the brand/company, stock price falls, etc.).
The end goal, however, is always to make a sale, i.e. to sell the company’s product or service. Yet is important to note that this is an end goal – it is not always the primary goal of a given piece of copy.
Why Study this?
- To become better at something that is in very high demand
- Well written copy makes a huge difference to the profitability of a business - whether in advertising, brochures, on signs, web sites, media releases or anywhere else.
- Capable copywriters will always find work because they can ultimately make a difference between success and failure for a business.