Learn Practical Skills by Home Study: Distance education IS Practical -more than most people think!
AVAILABLE ONLINE OR E-LEARNING (CD) ONLY
WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS COURSE
Here are some examples of what you may do:
- Test soils to determine characteristics which would be valuable to management of any given soil in a horticultural situation
- Identify sandy loam, silty loam, and clay loam soils by feel; and pH testing by soil indicator; and relate to plant selection
- Identify and sow a range of different types of seeds, in different situations, in a way that will optimise successful propagation.
- Propagate a range of plants using different vegetative propagation techniques
- Pot up and provide after care for a range of propagated seedlings and cuttings.
- Plant a range of (different types) plant material.
- Maintain the desired growth type and habit for a range of plants.
- Identify significant woody plants including: Trees; Shrubs; Ground cover; and Conifers
- Identify a range of significant plant problems including pests, diseases and others.
- Identify a range of non woody and indoor plants of horticultural significance.
- Conduct a risk assessment of a horticultural workplace to determine safe working practices and select appropriate personal safety clothing and equipment
There are 10 lessons in this course:
Seed Propagation (including seed identification)
Potting up and After Care of young plants
Maintenance of Established Plants
Practical Plant Identification
Pest and Disease Identification
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
|ACS is an Organisational Member of the Institute of Training and Occupational Learning|
|Member of Study Gold Coast, Education Network|
|Member Nursery and Garden Industry Association|
|ACS is recognised by the International Accreditation and Recognition Council|