Learn more about Science and Technology
- Science has totally changed how we work everywhere -from arts to farming and health to retailing
- Science has given us computers, machines, medicines and genetics
- Greater knowledge of science will increase career, business and employment opportunities for almost anyone, anywhere
ACS Certificate in Applied Sciences gives you an excellent foundation in science allowing your to select specialisations (eg. plant, animal, environmental, health) and very relevant subjects in Science today. It is an excellent tool for people wishing to work or working in science related jobs without formal qualifications, to improve employability and forward your career up the ladder. It will also help those who wish to study further afterwards.
Learn about the body, the brain and life on earth.
The Certificate qualification consists of 6 modules that can be chosen from the list below:
List of Modules
At least three modules should be taken from Group 1, two from Group 2 options, and the remainder from either Group.
Other Options are Available as well.
What you learn through ACS Applied Science Studies
An ACS Certificate in Applied Science is designed to provide foundation knowledge beyond secondary education, but with a greater relevance to the practical workplace than academic type university studies. Our study programs can also be used to bridge the gap between a specific qualification and the needs of a certain position. For example, whilst an irrigation equipment salesperson might be qualified in sales, they might choose to study a Certificate in Applied Science with a major in horticulture to give them that “foundation knowledge” that will allow them to answer those difficult questions from clients. A qualified nurse might take a Certificate in Applied Science with a major in nutrition to increase their ability to explain dietary changes as part of an overall treatment program.
Getting a job in today’s world is determined not only by the sort of qualification you have, but also your personality, presentation, attitude, experience, interests, and ability to adapt to new challenges.
With an ACS study program in Applied Science, you are better prepared to enter a science oriented workplace, learn faster on the job, and become a more useful employee within a shorter period of time.
There are in fact fewer jobs today (per capita) that require a degree than there were in the past. Despite this, today more than in the past, employers do tend to seek certain specific knowledge and skills in employees.
How do Employers Think?
A study program that has required hard work to attain will be an indication to an employer that you have a certain level of drive and commitment.
An understanding of the industry and discipline which the job encompasses will indicate that you are more likely to learn faster and become useful to the employer sooner. We design our courses with these things in mind.
Where Might this Certificate Lead?
- Certificates may provide some people with enough of a foundation to kick start a career as an "expert"; over time adding to their knowledge and skill through experience, and more learning (formal or informal). The study program is always only one of several things you need to develop a career. If you have the personality and drive to run your own business; this course may be the catalyst you need to do something in the world of science and technology.
- If you are more comfortable working for someone else, a certificate may very well open opportunities to being an “assistant” of some kind. Whilst it varies, assistants in the field of science might become employed as laboratory assistants and technical assistants.
- Longer study programs generally offer the possibility of a position of greater responsibility. People with longer study programs might become Technical Officers, Technical Advisors, Freelance Consultants (in some fields), and Technical Sales Managers. You may choose to continue studies after finishing this course, to gain more knowledge. We offer full credits for the modules completed, toward any longer program you choose to move on to.
- If you complete a Certificate, you may then apply to continue studies toward higher or more diverse studies beyond that.
- There are always advantages taking your studies step by step; not the least, because you can more readily change direction as new opportunities open up and new interests develop as you move through your studies.
Who Works With Science?
Lots of people use science in their day to day jobs: Health professions, Agriculture and Horticulture, Construction Industries, Environmental Industries, Food Industries, Transport, Engineering and more -all are built on a foundation of science; and people who have knowledge and skills in science are needed on every level to keep all of these industries functioning.
If you have a passion for technical and scientific things; this course could be an excellent starting point for you.
Some of the most successful scientists of the past have been both entrepreneurs as well as scientists. Consider Thomas Edison for example. Today's world is more than ever, a world of business, driven by science and technology.
Breakthroughs in science have spawned so many new industries over recent decades. Consider developments in computer technology, genetics and health sciences, transport engineering and farming. In all of these industries, and many more; people with a solid understanding of science have seen possibilities for business before others, and exploited those opportunities to provide products and services before anyone else.
It isn't always the scientist with the most knowledge and training who is most successful. In fact, the best scientists sometimes can be so focused on their subject that they miss seeing commercial possibilities; and also fail to see changes coming in their field of expertise.
A holistic approach can be a more sensible way to developing a career in science. When you study a shorter course and build your experience and awareness of the broader world at the same time, you can be in a better position to see the possibilities for science and technology.
Students may or may not continue their studies in science beyond this course; or they may well discover wonderful opportunities to apply what they learn, as a science and technology entrepreneur before even completing this first certificate. No matter what your future holds though, there is one certainty, and that is the importance of scientific knowledge no matter where you work and whatever you do.
|ACS Distance Education holds an Educational Membership with the ATA.|
|ACS is an Organisational Member of the Institute of Training and Occupational Learning.|
|ACS is a Member of the Complementary Medicine Association.|
|Member of Study Gold Coast Education Network. |
|ACS Global Partner - Affiliated with colleges in seven countries around the world.|
|Member Nursery and Garden Industry Association.|