SPOTLIGHT ON OUR MOST POPULAR COURSES – HORTICULTURE I
Horticulture I is ACS’s best selling course and you will see why.
Thousands of students have studied this course and gone on to be gardeners and horticulturalists in the 43 years that ACS have been offering this course.
In fact, Horticulture I was the very first course that was offered by ACS.
That doesn’t mean it is 43 years out of date. Oh no! Our courses are updated and developed all of the time to ensure that students receive up to date knowledge of horticulture and advances in the industry.
All of our courses are studied by online or distance learning. You can start at any time to suit you and work at your own pace.
If you want to get a great starting point to study horticulture, then Horticulture I is the one for you.
The course covers a wide range of topics that are essential learning for anyone new to horticulture, such as –
- Foundations of horticulture
- Planet science
- Plant identification – Learn to identify over 100 courses
- Pest control
- Weed control
- Soil management
- Establishment, repair and care of turf
Yes, there is definitely a lot to gain from studying this course and this is just the start.
The course will provide you with –
- Sound horticultural skills
- Detailed horticultural knowledge
- Problem solving skills that are highly sought after by many employers
- Develop as a good all-round horticulturalist.
Start your horticultural journey with Horticulture I. A great course.
Don’t just believe us though. Our students think it is great too.
“Yes, the course has been a valuable learning experience definitely.
I’m learning a lot of things that I find useful straight away, and there are lessons that I can practically apply to help me to learn.”
Rowena Headlam, Australia,
The course has 13 lessons.
In each lesson, you will develop sound horticultural knowledge through –
- Detailed course notes
- Set tasks, such as practical tasks
- Assignments to be completed, then marked by tutors
- Receiving tutor feedback and using that knowledge to improve
Why Study Horticulture I?
Learn from experts - ACS Distance Education is unique, and we have trained tens of thousands of people in horticulture. The Principal is an internationally renowned horticulturist; the only person to have been made a fellow both by the Australian Institute of Horticulture and the UK Institute of Horticulture. He is also a fellow of Parks and Leisure Australia; and early in his career, at the age of 23 was the youngest parks superintendent in Australia. Our team of expert tutors are all university trained and exceptionally well experienced professionals.
Thousands of people have studied this course. Many now run their own successful garden, landscaping or nursery businesses or farms. Others work on golf courses, for parks departments, on orchards, vineyards, or for garden supply or service companies. Some have gone on to be successful in the media, and others have used this course to lay a foundation for further studies.
After studying the course, this could lead to –
- Work in a nursery or garden centre - many people in this industry lack plant identification skills.
- Work as a gardener - many gardeners have absolutely no formal training and it shows!
- A hobby gardener turning a passion into a profession.
- A first step to further education.
To be successful in horticulture, you need to be –
- Passionate about horticulture
- Willing to work indoors or outdoors
- Willing to gain an understanding of the science that underpins horticulture
If you want to join the thousands of happy students who have studied this course and gone on to work in horticulture,
then have a look at the course here or contact us to find out more.